- ISIS has committed a new terrorist attack in Kabul, Afghanistan, as it targeted a NATO mission convey.
- At least 8 civilians have been killed, and 25 have been wounded.
- Three soldiers from the NATO-led international coalition’s mission Resolute Support have received non-life threatening injuries.
- US is discussing whether to send more troops to Afghanistan which is battling both ISIS and the Taliban.
Eight civilians have been killed in Afghanistan’s capital Kabul in a suicide terrorist attack committed by ISIS (“Islamic State in Iraq and Syria) against a convoy of the NATO mission in the country.
The ISIS terrorist group has had an offshoot (ISIS Khurasan) in Afghanistan since 2015, even though the extent to which the Afghan ISIS is controlled by the organization’s leadership in Syria is unknown.
The Afghan branch of ISIS, which has been attracting disaffected Taliban fighters, has claimed responsibility for a number of terrorist attacks targeting Shiite Muslims.
About 8,400 US troops are stationed in Afghanistan and are reported to regularly perform counterterrorism operations against ISIS in the Nangarhar Province, which are separate from the NATO mission dedicated to training and advising the Afghan army and police.
The US recently dropped its largest non-nuclear bomb, the Mother of All Bombs (MOAB), on an ISIS cave base in Afghanistan’s Nangarhar province, killing almost 100 militants (at first 36 ISIS casualties were announced).
The attack by ISIS on the NATO forces convoy comes at a time when the Afghan forces with the support of the US forces based in the country have stepped up attacks against the terror group in the Nangarhar province.
The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) terrorist group offshoot in Afghanistan, ISIS Khurasan, claimed responsibility for the deadly suicide attack in capital Kabul on Wednesday, Khaama Press reported.
In a statement in Arabic the group claimed that 8 American soldiers had been killed in the attack.
However, the US forces in Afghanistan earlier said only three coalition soldiers were wounded in the attack and that their health condition is satisfactory.
Afghanistan’s Ministry of Interior announced earlier that at least eight civilians were killed and twenty five others were wounded in the attack.
The terrorist act in Kabul was committed at around 8 am local time on Wednesday in the vicinity of the 9th police district of the city.
At the time of the attack, the NATO mission convoy was crossing an area located close to the US Embassy and other key government compounds, including the Supreme Court of Afghanistan.
Two of the convoy vehicles were badly damaged, along with several other passing cars, AFP reported. Windows were shattered up to several hundred metres away from the scene.
The armored personnel carriers, which are designed to resist large blasts, were able to return to a coalition base, the NATO-led Resolute Support mission said on Twitter.
The wounded were in a stable condition with non-life threatening injuries, and were being treated at coalition medical facilities, it added.
The US is discussing whether to send more troops to Afghanistan, which, in addition to the ISIS offshoot, is also battling the decades-long insurgency of the Taliban.
Taliban and ISIS almost appear to be competing who will commit a more violent terrorist attack.
In March, ISIS killed over 50 people in a hospital in Kabul’s diplomatic quarter.
The Taliban recently killed over 130 soldiers in an Afghan army base near Mazar-e Sharif, in what has been the group’s largest attack against a facility of the Afghan National Army since in 2001 the US toppled it from power in Afghanistan in the wake of the 9/11 attacks in New York City and Washington, D.C.