North Korea Issues ‘Accidental’ Nuclear War Threat over US – South Korean Drills

A handout photo made available by South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) shows a US Army Tactical Missile System (ATacMS) being launched at an undisclosed location on the east coast, South Korea, 29 July 2017. Photo: South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) handout/EPA/REX/Shutterstock

  • North Korea’s regime has issued a new warning against the US and South Korea.
  • Warning comes ahead of annual joint military drills by the two allies.
  • Pyongyang has warned that even ‘a small accidental event’ during the drills could make a nuclear war unstoppable.
  • China has announced it is to start enforcing the new UN sanctions against North Korea as of August 15.

North Korea’s regime of leader Kim Jong-un has made new threats against the United States and its allies as the US and South Korea are planning to carry out their annual joint military drills on the Korean Peninsula later this month.

In spite of the flaring tensions between Washington and Pyongyang, on Sunday, CIA Director Mike Pompeo said there was no imminent threat of a nuclear war erupting between the United States and North Korea, although he did admit that the regime of Kim Jong-un’s arms programs were advancing rapidly.

At the end of last week, countries such as China and Germany called upon both the United States and North Korea to refrain from spiking tensions on the Korean Peninsula amid the fiery rhetoric coming from both sides.

US President Donald Trump has vowed an even tougher stance against the regime of North Korea, defending his “fire and fury” comment from last week.

Before that, however, North Korea’s military announced it was working on a plan to “contain” the US air, naval, and missile bases on the Pacific island of Guam by firing four intermediate-range ballistic missile (IRBMs) to “envelop” it.

US National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster recently declared the United Stated was prepared to wage a “preventive war” against North Korea if that was to be deemed necessary – although the current deployment of the US aircraft carriers does not seem to bode a military operation.

North Korea’s military has reacted angrily by stating its preparedness to “contain” the US bases on the Pacific island of Guam with missile strikes.

US Defense Secretary James Mattis has also warned the regime of Kim Jong-un not to invite its own destruction, while earlier this week US President Donald Trump threatened that the North Korean regime will face “fire and fury” if it kept posing as a menace to America.

At the end of July, North Korea test-fired an improved intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), a Hwasong-14, that could strike the US mainland, purportedly, as far east as Chicago.

That was the second missile alleged to be an ICBM to be tested by the regime of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, after on July 4, it carried out a ballistic missile test, and claimed that the rocket was the much coveted intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).

South Korea K1A2 (front) and US Army M1A2 (top) tanks participate in a defence exercise conducted to simulate a response to a possible attack from North Korea at the Mugeon-ri drill field on Paju, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea, 15 April 2017. Photo: Jeon Heon-kyun/EPA/REX/Shutterstock

‘Small Accidental Event’

North Korea’s regime warned on Monday that any accidental event could develop into a nuclear war on the Korean Peninsula, as Seoul and Washington plan to stage annual joint military drills late this month, South Korean news agency Yonhap reported.

“Even if no one wants, if a small accidental event flares up, nobody can prevent a war,” the communist regime’s Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said in its commentary.

South Korea and the US plan to conduct the two-week Ulchi-Freedom Guardian (UFG) exercise starting August 21 amid heightened tensions on the Korean Peninsula.

North Korea has claimed that the drill is a rehearsal for northern invasion, despite reassurances by Seoul and Washington that it is defensive in nature.

“Despite our warning, if the U.S. continues to wield a nuclear bat in front of a nuclear power, it will only accelerate its own self-destruction,” the KCNA said.

Tensions have spiked amid an exchange of bellicose rhetoric between the US and North Korea after the UN Security Council unanimously adopted new sanctions on North Korea – the single largest sanctions package on it so far – because of the recent intercontinental ballistic missile tests of the Kim Jong-un regime.

North Korea’s regime condemned the newly imposed UN sanctions, while refusing to negotiate over its nuclear weapons and vowing to make the US “pay a price” for its “hostility.”

China Enforcing UN Sanctions

Meanwhile, China announced on Monday it was going enforce the latest United Nations sanctions against Pyongyang this week, banning the imports of resources and seafood from North Korea.

China’s Ministry of Commerce said the embargo would apply to coal, iron, iron ore, lead and seafood.

The ban will take effect on Tuesday, August 15, excluding products that have been shipped to ports and are awaiting domestic transportation.

China’s government said it would allow the inbound delivery of products from the North’s port of Najin on the northeastern coast, if they are proven to have been made in other countries.

 

Be the first to comment on "North Korea Issues ‘Accidental’ Nuclear War Threat over US – South Korean Drills"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*