- North Korea’s military has said it is crafting a plan to ‘contain’ the US military bases in Guam with ballistic missile fire.
- This appears to mean an operation to block the deployment of US strategic assets on the island, according to South Korean officials.
- Pyongyang has declared its preparedness to wage a ‘just all-out war’ against the United States.
- North Korea’s declarations come after US President Trump threatened North Korean threats would be met with ‘fire and fury’.
North Korea’s military has reacted angrily to US President Donald Trump’s threat that the North Korean regime will face “fire and fury”, and has threatened back the United States by stating its preparedness to “contain” the US bases on the Pacific island of Guam with missile strikes.
At the end of last week, the UN Security Council unanimously adopted new sanctions on North Korea – the single largest sanctions package on it so far – because of the recent intercontinental ballistic missile tests of the Kim Jong-un regime.
At the same time, US National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster declared the United Stated was prepared to wage a “preventive war” against North Korea if that was to be deemed necessary.
North Korea’s regime condemned the newly imposed UN sanctions, while refusing to negotiate over its nuclear weapons and vowing to make the US “pay a price” for its “hostility.”
At the end of July, North Korea test-fired an improved intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), a Hwasong-14, that could strike the US mainland, purportedly, as far east as Chicago.
That was the second missile alleged to be an ICBM to be tested by the regime of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, after on July 4, it carried out a ballistic missile test, and claimed that the rocket was the much coveted intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).
North Korea has also threatened that it would carry out a nuclear strike “at the heart of the United States” if the US attempted a regime change in Pyongyang, after recent hints to that end by CIA Director Mike Pompeo.
North Korea’s latest missile test was its 13th (and tenth successful one) since US President Donald Trump assumed office in January.
A US nuclear expert has warned that Kim Jong-un might be coming closer to being able to produce a hydrogen bomb, also known as thermonuclear weapon, as it is able to produce tritium, a key element.
The US State Department has just announced a ban on all Americans from traveling to North Korea following the death of US college student Otto Warmbier who passed away in June 2017 after 17 months in North Korean captivity.
Last week, US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson adopted a markedly conciliatory tone towards the regime of Kim Jong-un, assuring that the US sought no regime change in North Korea, and that it was not the communist country’s enemy.
Later, however, the US State Department complained international media had misreported Tillerson’s remarks, and declared that talks with North Korea were possible only if the regime in Pyongyang made clear its preparedness to give up its nuclear weapons.
The US, Japan, and South Korea have agreed that the latest developments in North Korea posed a “new-phase” security threat, while US President Donald Trump and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe declared their position in favor of a tougher response.
‘Just All-Out War’
North Korea’s military announced on Wednesday it was considering missile strikes aimed at isolating the Pacific island of Guam, home to several US strategic bombers, South Korean news agency Yonhap reported.
The Korean People’s Army (KPA) also declared it stood ready to stage an all-out armed conflict if Washington pressed ahead with a preventive war against it.
The North Korean Strategic Force said it was “carefully examining the operational plan for making an enveloping fire at the areas around Guam with the medium-to-long-range strategic ballistic rocket Hwasong-12,” according to an English-language statement reported by the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).
It cited the need to contain the major US military bases on Guam, including the Anderson Air Force Base, where US strategic bombers are stationed.
It added that the plan will soon be reported to North Korean Supreme Command after “full examination and completion,” and will be put into practice “in a multi-concurrent and consecutive way” at its leader Kim Jong-un’s order.
“The provocative war the US has devised and plans to execute will be countered with a just all-out war of wiping out all the strongholds of the enemies, including the U.S. mainland,” said a spokesman at the General Staff of the KPA.
South Korean defense officials said the North’s artillery uses the term “enveloping fire.”
“It appears to mean an operation to put Guam under siege to block the deployment of US strategic assets in and out of the island,” a South Korean Defense Ministry official said.
Guam hosts various types of high-profile U.S. military weapon systems, including B-1B and B-52 strategic bombers, as well as the THAAD missile defense system.
Earlier this week, two B-1B Lancers flew over Korea again in a joint training with South Korean fighter jets. It reportedly takes only two hours for the supersonic bomber to reach Korea from Guam.
‘Fire and Fury’
The declaration by the regime of Kim Jong-un about North Korea’s preparedness for an “all-out” war came after on Tuesday US President Donald Trump warned it not to issue any more threats against America.
“North Korea best not make any more threats to the United States. They will be met with fire and fury like the world has never seen,” Trump stated.
“[Kim Jong-un] has been very threatening, beyond a normal statement. And, as I said, they will be met with fire, fury, and, frankly, power the likes of which this world has never seen before,” the US President added.
Meanwhile, the US govenrnment has concluded that the secretive nation has successfully produced a miniaturized nuclear warhead that can fit inside its missiles, The Washington Post said in a report based on the US intelligence community’s assessment.